One thing I get asked a LOT about is doing a first look. As a photographer and bride, I want to scream from the rooftops “YES! YES! YES! DO IT! You won’t regret it!” I honestly can’t think of any cons against doing a first look. Let’s talk about the benefits to doing a first look:
- Doing a first look gives you a moment alone with your future spouse. It’s a wonderful quiet moment to just be alone and focus on the emotions that you’re both feeling.
- You can finish more photos before the ceremony – which means more time to enjoy cocktail hour and greet your guests. I see it as a way to skip the table rounds during dinner and just relax for a bit and enjoy your food. Win Win!
- It takes the pressure off of your groom/bride. When waiting at the end of the aisle, there will be so many eyes on you that nerves may take over and you may not get the genuine reaction you’ve been dreaming of.
- If you’re doing an evening wedding, you won’t see your bride/groom until the ceremony – this usually means not seeing them until pretty late in the day.
- Your hair and makeup will still be fresh – this one speaks for itself 😉
Many couples don’t want to do it because they think it’ll take away from the big moment of the reaction walking down the aisle. In my opinion, I don’t think doing a first look takes away from the reaction. If your future spouse is a crier, then they’ll likely cry regardless. At the end of the day, it truly is your decision and we, as photographers, just want YOU to be happy on your wedding day!
Check out this adorable wedding (and first look) photographed by Brianna.
For more information on wedding photography in Southern California or to get a quote, please visit our website at www.shyheartstudios.com or give us a call at 657-221-8882.