After spending a wonderful week in paradise, it’s back to reality for me. I soaked up the sun, sipped on Mai Tais, and enjoyed the beauty that Hawaii has to offer. It was a nice and much needed mid-wedding season break. My heart is still in paradise, but my head is in full-on work mode. Being on vacation (and a strong ass coffee this morning) definitely helped me feel more ready to kick today in the butt!
As artists, we can sometimes hit a wall. Like any other medium, we can feel our creativity in a rut and unsure of what to create next. For me, traveling brings out so much creativity. I don’t know if it’s because I put my camera down for a week or if it’s because I got to experience a beautiful new part of our world, but I feel truly refreshed and ready to create. Taking a step back helped me to think about new angles, composition and to have a little fun in my work.
When I photograph weddings, I love to nail my shots first, then have a little fun! I’ll spend a few minutes trying out new poses, changing my lighting, or just allowing my couples to interact with each other without a whole ton of direction. In these little moments, there’s something simple and beautiful that is captured.
Check out this engagement session photographed by yours truly!
For more information on engagement or wedding photography in Southern California or to get a quote, please visit our website at www.shyheartstudios.com or give us a call at 657-221-8882.
It’s so weird to me to be on the other side and planning my own weddings vs. being a photographer of one! I promised I’d share some fun tips with you as I embark on this journey so today let’s talk emergency kits. Being insanely Type A when it comes to planning ahead, I’ve put together some essential items that can come in handy should there be any whoopsies.
- Sewing kit/safety pins/glue/fashion tape
- Stain Remover
- Medicines: Pain reliever/anti-acid/allergy medication
- Scissors (absolute must for cutting of tags!)
- Wrinkle release/steamer
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, mouthwash, mints
- Clear nail polish/nail glue/file
- White chalk (hides oil stains and any stains that may get on your dress)
- Clean white cloth
- Hair things: bobby pins, hair ties, hairspray, comb
- Makeup: mirror, q-tips, wipes, lipstick, oil blotting sheets, tweezers, anything you may need for touch ups
- First aid: hydrocortisone, bandaids, blister blocker, bug spray
- Snacks, water bottle, energy drink
- Phone charger
- ID, cash, check book
- Notebook & pen
- Tissues (because DUH)
- Ring cleaner (THE number one thing! If you have time to get your ring professionally cleaned beforehand, I highly suggest doing so!)
This list could go on forever, but here are things that I’ve found are super useful! Some of these things I keep in my camera bag when I’m photographing weddings – just to be safe. What are some things I’ve missed or you’ve found come in handy during planning? Share them with me!
Now that the seriousness is over, check out this wedding photographed by the talented Rachel at Wedgewood Sierra La Verne.
For more information on wedding photography in Southern California or to get a quote, please visit our website at www.shyheartstudios.com or give us a call at 657-221-8882.